7 Reasons To Learn Go Language
by sonia F
Before Understanding, why Learn Go Programming Language we need to know what is Go Programming Language..?
Following are Different Names used for Go Programming Language:
“Go”, “Go Programming Language”, “GoLang”, and “Google Go”.
GoLang is Designed and Supported at Google in 2007 by Robert Griesemer, Rob Pike, and Ken Thompson: To support scalability and effectiveness as they have largest Clouding infrastructures. The language was announced in November 2009.
“Go” or “GoLang” is a Programming language with the development working speed of dynamic language like Python and benefits of performance and safety of a complied language like C or C++
Go Programming Language is a fast, statically typed; Complied Programming Language. That Feels like Dynamically typed interpreted Language.
Go Programming Language is Open Source (original source code is made freely available and may be redistributed and modified.), expressive (effectively conveying thought), concise (brief but comprehensive), clean (general purpose purely functional), and efficient (Maximum Production with minimum Effort). Go compiles quickly to machine code yet has the convenience of garbage collection and the power of run-time reflection.
Versions of Go Language are as follows: Go Language Has Proved its stability from initial public release 1.0, back in year 2012 to Till Now.
Main 7 Reasons to learn Go Programming Language are:
- Go Language Programming Code Is very easy to handle and Maintain:
Go Have very neat and Clean Programming syntax which are easy to understand. Go is Very Different Compared to Other Languages. Go is efficient as C/C++, writing code is as easy as Ruby/Python
These are the some of the features which GoLang Does not include:
- There are No classes: Everything is divided into packages only. Go has only structs instead of classes.
- Does not support inheritance. That will make code easy to modify. In other languages like Java/Python, if the class ABC inherits class XYZ and you make some changes in class XYZ, then that may produce some side effects in other classes that inherit XYZ. By removing inheritance, Go makes it easy to understand the code also (as there is no super class to look at while looking at a piece of code).
- No constructors.
- No annotations.
- No generics.
- No exceptions.
- Go Programming Language is Powerful :
In order to work and Get advantage of today’s and upcoming multiprocessor, Executing Programs at the same time is the biggest Challenge every modern application faces.
Go programming language had adopted communicating sequential processes (CSP) model (aka the Actor Model) that’s been used successfully by Erlang. Go combines light-weight green threads (called goroutines) with communication pipelines called channels to form a simple, powerful concurrency model. This allows an application to run with thousands of actors, without the burden of trying to keep shared memory free from corruption.
Go has goroutines:
Being a Programmer you should always know
What is hardware?
What is software?
What is programming, coding, scripting?
What is threading?
In order to understand concept of goroutines you should know all the above.
Due to hardware Limitations the working speed is always affected in order to overcome this go had goroutines. Go is developed when multi-core processors were already available. Go has goroutines instead of threads
- Goroutines have growable segmented stacks, they will use more memory only when needed.
- Goroutines have a faster startup time than threads.
- Goroutines come with built-in primitives to communicate safely between channels.
- Goroutines allow you to avoid having to resort to mutex locking when sharing data structures.
- goroutines and OS threads do not have 1:1 mapping. A single goroutine can run on multiple threads. Goroutines are multiplexed into small number of OS threads.
- Go Programming Language have Focused vocabulary:
Many languages have numerous keywords that a developer must remember. Several of these keywords are designed to support programming concepts that have been around for decades. With Go, many of these concepts have been condensed as much as possible in order to reduce the amount of keywords required. As a result, Go currently has around 25 keywords, as opposed to 50 or more for languages like Java and C#.
4. Go Programming Language has Simple scoping rules:
Many languages offer developers great flexibility to ensure that variables and functions can be hidden from other parts of the code base. Go has only three levels of scoping and very simple
Conventions for determining scope:
- Local variables (declared within a function) are scoped to the current block.
- Package level variables are scoped to the package if they start with a lower-case letter.
- Package level variables are publicly scoped if they start with an upper-case letter.
There’s no “private” scope, as you might have expected, which is enough to make some developers uncomfortable. But in practice, this actually opens up a lot of opportunities.
5. Go Programming language has Built-in garbage collection:
Garbage collection is a difficult problem to solve. However, manual memory management often incurs a fairly high cost on the developer and makes it more difficult to write error-free code. This is why the developers of Go made it a requirement to have it in the language. Initially, the garbage collector could take a heavy toll on an application in terms of performance. However, the cost of garbage collection is falling rapidly thanks to determined effort.
6. Go Programming Language have First-class functions:
7. Go Programming Language have Batteries included:
To create modern applications, you need more than just a great language. Modern applications rely on testing to ensure correctness, documentation generators to communicate how the application works, and linters to ensure that coding standards are adhered to. Go embraces each of these issues as core concerns of the language, not simply an add-on to be dealt with by another team. As a result, installing the Go development tools provides instant access to all of these capabilities and a guarantee that they’ll work together without having to fight just to get everything working.
The Countries like India, united states united Kingdom, Australia, Asia, Africa, Brazil, Bangladesh, Canada, China , Colombia, Denmark France Germany Hong Kong, Indonesia, Iran, Island, Italy, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Mexico, Middle East, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Sweden, Spain, Turkey, Thailand many More are Using Go Programming Languages.
The Famous Companies like Google, Dropbox, Soundcloud, Docker, BBC, Dell, eBay, Facebook, IBM, Mozilla, Twitter, Yahoo, Yandex are already using Go language/ GoLang.
Here we understand what is Go Language Programming? What are the versions of Go Programming Language? And Reason to Learn Go Programming Language?
Go programming language provides high performance like C/C++, super efficient concurrency handling like Java and fun to code like Python/Perl.
Being a Software developer you would always experience the hardware limitation putting pressure upon you. It is always been an important Concern to understand the limitation of hardware and accordingly optimize our code.
Go is a New language with Better Future, Never to forget fact is that it’s developed at Google.
January 11, 2018
December 26, 2018
December 8, 2018