7. What advantages does a developer gain by using IBM’s cloud computing platform as opposed to other options available?
Rather than speaking about the drawbacks of other Cloud platforms, let me speak about the advantages of selecting Bluemix, the IBM Cloud platform.
• First and foremost, IBM Cloud uses Open Standards like Cloud Foundry, TOSKA, OSLC etc. Open standards are the one where the specifications are made public. The advantages of Open standards include application independence, platform independence, long-term access, architectural integrity, interoperability, vendor neutrality, flexibility among others.
• A continuous delivery platform in the form of DevOps considerably reduces the downtime of redeploying an application. Developers can concentrate on coding and the rest is mostly taken care of.
• With automatic workload redeployment to other underlying virtual machines, Bluemix ensures continuous availability of Applications and that too transparently. User can start/stop application and define the memory for each application while the rest is taken care by Bluemix.
• With the freedom to use tools like Cloud Foundary command line (CF), Eclipse and Web IDE (provided by Bluemix), developers can choose which works best for them
• Services provided by other companies can be integrated into applications running on Bluemix thereby making them both providers and users of services
• Integration to well-known source control systems like Git, GitHub and Jazz makes it easier to manage and maintain source code.
8. How sound a coding knowledge does a developer need when using Bluemix?
Bluemix is not a substitute to programming. But bluemix does provide a platform for coders’ that makes life easier and creating and, deploying apps a child’s play with its intuitive user interface and services that can be integrated into the App without additional burden.